Thursday, July 8, 2010

"It's like a heat wave!"

Am I the only one who breaks a sweat walking outside for 60 seconds? My goodness, this heat is crazy! It's too hot to go to the park, play on our swingset, or even ride bikes. How in the world can I possibly entertain these children?

I went to IKEA for the first time in December. I met up with several of my Douglasville friends, and it was an interesting experience. Katie was at school, but Aidan and Noah loved playing with the slide, train table, and kitchen. We ate a delish lunch of swedish meatballs, and then my heart dropped. Noah had vanished! Literally! I had turned my back for about 30 seconds, and Noah was nowhere to been seen. My poor pregnant friend was stuck watching the "good" children while the rest of us frantically started running through IKEA. What felt like an eternity later, an employee guided us to Noah, who was running through the showrooms! Immediately, he was strapped into his stroller, and we called it a day!

However, I have decided to try to get better organized when we move, so I wanted to swing by IKEA again. Within the past month, Noah has gotten very good with sitting in his stroller when needed and following directions. Yesterday, we had a playdate at IKEA, and I took all three kids there. I even decided to brave the store without a stroller--nuts, I know! The walk inside the building was easy, and we quickly found our friends in the children's section. All of the children played on the beds and then found the tents, kitchen, and train table. Soon we decided lunch was in order. Katie and Noah had mac and cheese, but Aidan wanted a PB&J, and I had to have the meatballs again. We also had some chocolate cake! The kids played in the play area at the food court, and then we decided to walk the showrooms. This time, Noah stayed with us! In fact, all three kids were on their best behaviors! I was able to find some storage, and it was a very fun (and cool) afternoon.

Today, we met my parents for lunch at Chick-Fil-A. Apparently, the forecast called for near record temps, with readings close to 100*. Luckily, CFA has an indoor playground, so we figured this would be a good option. As soon as we got there, we saw the CFA cow outside waving. I knew that wouldn't last long, and sure enough, the cow came inside. Aidan is terrified of costumed characters, and cries every time we go to Chuck E. Cheese. To everyone's surprise, Aidan ran up and gave the cow a hug! The cow patted Noah on the head, and gave high 5s to everyone. We stayed at CFA for about 2 hours, watching the kids play, playing with the cow, and exchanging the kids' toys for ice cream!

By the time we got home, it was 100*, so I figured it would be a great day to cool off in the kiddie pool. I know about you, but I always think that the pool is too cold, because the hose water is always cold. Today, though, the water warmed up in about 5 minutes, and after a half hour, we had to pull the hose back out and add more cold water to the pool. Katie and Aidan took turns holding the hose and spraying everyone! They made rainbow water--coloring on the pavement with different color chalk and pouring water over the colors, thus creating rainbow water!

After an hour, we took baths and got dressed for bed, even though it was only 5:30 pm. We had dinner, and Noah went to go play in his room. I went to check on him, and he was fast asleep at 6:45 pm! I guess the heat wore him out! I can't wait to see how the kids handle the beach next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment