Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sick

I knew there was a reason I hate colder weather--it's when the germs come out full-force! I tend to get very few colds, but numerous sinus infections each year. Back in May, I had one of the worst illnesses I had had in years. I went to the dr. and was treated with Amoxil, but after a few days, I got worse instead of better. I was so congested that I literally could not breathe through my nose at all. If you have ever been that congested, you can relate. I went to a different doctor who was very sympathetic. He changed my antiobiotic to Augmentin, gave me an antibiotic shot and steriod shot, then prescribed strong decongestants and cough syrup. It was my best decision to go to the doctor--within 2 hours, I could breathe through my nose again! I got better fast, and I haven't been sick since then.

Until now. Chris and the kids have had on again/off again sore throats and congestion, but it hit me last night. I could feel the congestion building--what a horrible feeling. I pray that, perhaps, I will luck out and only have a bit of a cold instead of a sinus infection. I am not a nice person to be around when I don't feel well, and I haven't felt well all week. It began with a migraine hitting me on Monday and lasting until Tuesday night, when the sore throat and congestion built up. Come to think of it, it was probably my sinuses causing the headache. When Chris gets sick, he stays in bed all day and rests. When I get sick, I still have to get up and take care of kids. Too bad moms don't get sick days!

At least the kids don't seem sick now. I need to get their flu shots--their former pediatrician never had them in stock last year, so the kids got the shots when we changed doctors last winter. This year, though, we all need to get those shots. For two years now, Katie has contracted the flu, so I don't want to risk it this year. Two years ago, she ended up in the hospital for dehydration and high fever with the flu.

Here's hoping we are in for a mild (illness-wise) fall and winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment