Thursday, June 17, 2010

Breakthrough

Every once in awhile, my kids will really surprise me. Chris and I are working through situations with each child. Sometimes, we get instant gratification with our efforts, but most of the time, we don't reap the benefits until months later.

Katie can be a great big sister, when she wants to be! Unfortunately, she seems to enjoy causing trouble more than being a good example. Katie is really smart, though. Since this is my blog, I figure I can brag just a little. This past year in school (first grade), Katie got all As the entire year and scored in exceeding expectations on her CRCT standardized test. Unfortunately, she gets bored, which can cause trouble at home. Today, she had her friend Lindsay come over. Katie and Aidan constantly disagree on certain things, but one thing Katie really was looking forward to was watching a Hannah Montana this afternoon. As it turns out, Lindsay wasn't really a fan of the show, so I was surprised (and proud) that Katie hid her disappointment and watched another show, a show that I thought everyone might like. It can't be easy to have one's hopes set high only to be knocked down. She handled it very maturely--and it made me realize just how much she's grown up.

Aidan's issue is potty training. He pees in the potty like a big boy--he even stands. Unfortunately, pooping is another issue. For some reason, he's always been scared of pooping the potty. We even have had to take him to CHOA for an impacted stool. It was obvious he needed to poop today--he had to change underwear and he whined a lot. When Chris came home, he offered Aidan $1 to poop in the potty. For some reason, that really motivated Aidan, and sure enough, he obliged! Obviously, we are not above bribes!

Chris has really worked with Noah on getting him dressed. Noah used to really fight getting dressed. As he was getting his bath, he decided he wanted to hold onto my pajamas, which are kind of a safety blanket for him. I told him he may hold them, but not in the tub. Noah was not pleased with me, and proceed to throw a bit of a tantrum. I ended up holding the pajamas close to the tub, just out of his reach, and that seemed to satisfy him. Eventually, Noah decided to try to grab the pjs, to which I responded with a stern "no". I told him once again that he could hold them once he was finished with his bath. He stuck out his lower lip, but held his arms up, telling me he was ready to get out. As I dried him off, he got my pjs, and directly laid down and did not move while I dressed him. I was amazed! Apparently, he got the message that he got what he wanted if he cooperated!

Of course, who knows what tomorrow will bring..... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment