Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy 2011!

I cannot believe we are already in 2011! For the most part, we really had a good 2010, but during the fall, everything fell apart. I am hopeful that we have a good 2011. It got off to a pretty good start.

On New Year's Eve, Chris had to work half of a day, so the kids and I spent the afternoon baking and then playing outside. After all, it was about 63*, a pleasant change from the 30* days we had experienced a week earlier. Noah got his first bike for Christmas, and was eager to test it out. All of the kids were excited to ride their bikes, and really enjoyed the time outside. When Chris got home, we loaded everyone into the van and headed for the Commerce outlets. Chris had bought me a new Coach purse for Christmas, but learned of the Coach outlet a day later and asked me to wait to use the new purse until I checked out the outlet. As it turns out, I was able to get a bigger purse, matching wallet and checkbook cover, and clutch for only a little more than what Chris had initially paid for the purse from Macy's. We also went to Bath and Body Works for me to stock up on hand soap during their semi-annual sale, and we checked out the TRU Express. Katie ended up getting a new puzzle, checkers, bingo, and playing cards for $3 total! After our shopping excursion, Chris took us to eat at Cracker Barrel. It's one of the few restaurants where all of our children eat well.

When we got home, we put the kids to bed and Chris and I watched a movie on our new 40" tv, then we rang in 2011 with Ryan Seacrest and Dick Clark. We went to bed around 1 am. On New Year's Day, I had invited my parents as well as Rachel and Tim over for dinner. Last year, I began a new tradition of cooking a turkey for New Year's. This year, we had turkey, dressing, green bean casserole, black-eyed peas, cranberry sauce, and gravy, and I made a fudgy peppermint torte for dessert. Needless to say, everyone was stuffed after dinner! It's a lot of work, but my parents had helped us out a lot with the kids in Nov. and Dec., and this was my way of showing my appreciation.

I don't do well making resolutions, but I have a few goals this year. To begin with, Chris and both need to find new jobs. I would love some kind of job in the school system so that I could be off when the kids are out of school. Chris is looking for a marketing job. I hope to finish paying the rest of our debt off this year (most of it is gone, but we still have a bit left). I am trying to be more patient, especially with the kids. I am hoping to create healthier, tastier dinners for us. Also, I hope to add to our family this year, but I know it will take a bit to get Chris to agree to that. I would like to focus more on Chris and me and making time for ourselves. Here's to a fresh beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment