Sunday, January 2, 2011

Speech Explosion

Noah's been out of speech therapy for 2 weeks now. When Aidan was turning 3, one day, his speech just suddenly began to get better. Now, granted, his speech was never as delayed as Noah's has been, but he didn't speak a lot until after his third birthday. I have been convinced that Noah knows more words than he uses. I also am convinced that he has selective hearing and only cooperates when it's convenient for him.

Over the last week, Noah's proved time and again that he understands me consistently. If I ask him to get me something, he usually will. If I tell him to do something that he doesn't want to do, he tells me no. When he fills up a diaper, I will tell him that we need to work on potty training, and he will agree with me. Today, his communication was better than I've ever seen it. He was looking for Aidan and said, clear as day, "Aidan, where are you?" We were getting ready to leave the house, and he said, "Mommy, come on." But the real surprise came while we were out. Chris and I had decided to take the kids to Chuck E. Cheese as a treat. As soon as well pulled up, Noah began shrieking and saying, "Yay, Chuck E. Cheese!" We were shocked! He told us he wanted pizza, and he actually ate two slices! However, what amazed me the most was his reaction to the games. He stared at them intently while we ate, and when we were done, I took him to the games. He ended up leading me around the game room, and he stopped at a ticket game. I showed him where to insert the coin, and not only did he insert the coin, he aimed the coin to get it to go into a slot to earn tickets! He was so excited that he kept playing, earning more tickets. I told him to try another game, and he kept hitting the bonus tickets! Noah earned well over 100 on his own, without my help! Katie and Aidan can't even do that! As we were leaving, CEC himself came out, and Noah's eyes sparkled. He gave CEC five and looked happier than ever. My little man, the one whom I've been silently begging to communicate with me, is finally coming out of his shell and opening up. He's speaking in sentences, and recognizing letters. At Publix, he said "P-U-B-L-I-X" as soon as well pulled up. Noah's growing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment